Young Scholars Charter School (YSCS) is seeking a passionate and hardworking Special Education teacher to join the YSCS family for the 2018-19 school year.
About Young Scholars Charter School
Young Scholars Charter School (YSCS) is a free, lottery-based, open-enrollment charter school serving students from across Philadelphia in grades 6-8. The mission of Young Scholars is to provide a personalized middle school education that challenges, engages and prepares all students to passionately pursue their dreams and lead a life of active citizenship.
• Plan and provide excellent instruction, making every minute count in your classroom;
• Develop detailed lesson plans, materials, homework assignments, and assessments based on state standards and school-wide goals for student achievement
• Provide differentiated learning opportunities to support each student’s academic growth;
• Set and reinforce clear expectations for student engagement;
• Continuously improve based on feedback and coaching from school leaders;
• Collaborate with other teachers to increase student engagement and achievement;
• Reward positive student engagement and hold students accountable using school-wide systems;
• Engage with family members regularly and participate in school-wide family engagement activities including phone calls to family members and school-based meetings with families;
• Provide additional academic support to students after school for at least one hour per week.
• Outstanding instructional skills and data-driven approach to instructional planning;
• Mastery and enthusiasm for content/subject area;
• The ability to motivate students and cultivate a culture of achievement;
• A belief that ALL students should be held to high academic standards;
• Resilience and professionalism;
• Commitment to school transformation and continuous improvement;
• Open to feedback and coaching;
• Strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement;
• Collaborative approach to problem solving.
Educational Background and Work Experience
• Experience driving student achievement results;
• Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field;
• Must hold or be actively working to obtain PA teacher certification.